Sunday, June 19, 2011

Weekly Shopping Trip

So this weekend's shopping trip was a success in my eyes!  Now I didn't save 90% or get $200 worth of groceries for $5, but in the real world this would be considered a success.  So I will talk about my trip to Walmart and Kroger...I decided not to go to Walgreens this week, nor did I buy a newspaper.  From what I saw online the inserts this week would not have benefitted my family nor would I have made back the $1.50 I would've spent on the newspaper.

Stop #1: Walmart ($19.76 spent)

Okay so I was about to show you up there that it was a 51% savings, but that didn't account for the clearance items that I'll show you below...so really it was more than 51% savings and I'll see if I can't do a more accurate calculation once I've gone through all the items.  Okay, so I'm going to go through my purchase and let you see what I spent on each item and if I got to use any coupons!

Garnier Moisturizer -- Walmart's price $6.47 -- ad matched with CVS for $5
   Used $1/1 coupon (sent to me from manufacturer - also a Coupon in 6/19 newspaper
   OOP - $4 (saved $2.47)
Renuizit Crystals 18oz - $4.97
   Used $3/1 coupon (expires today 6/19)
   OOP - $1.97

Colgate Toothpaste - clearance $1 (bought 2)
   Used 2 - $0.50/1 coupons (I believe from 6/5/11 newspaper)
   OOP - $1 for 2!
Dr. Scholls Insole - $2.94 (no coupon, but needed item)
Wilkinson Razor - $0.97
   Used $1/1 coupon (previously on coupons.com)
   FREE + $0.03 money maker
Aquafresh Extreme Clean travel size - $0.97
   Used $1/1 coupon found here (doesn't exclude travel size)
   FREE + $0.03 money maker
Degree Deodorant - $1.78
   Used $0.75/1 (not sure which newspaper)
   OOP $1.03
Bagels 2 - $2.28 = $4.56 --> Best deal on bagels I've been able to find!
Pears - $1.78

Zyrtec 5ct - $5.27 (bought 2)
   Used 2 - $5/1 (5ct only) found here
   OOP - $0.54

So I looked online to see what Walmart said the price of that Colgate toothpaste is and for a double pack (6.0oz each) it sells for $11.05...so I figure that it probably retails for around $5.50 for one tube...and the clearance ones are actually 7.2oz (82% savings --- if the retail price is correct).  (Walgreens shows them as $3.29 each, so maybe closer to that price). So anyway, I'm figuring that my savings is really closer to 56%, which is still pretty good.  So I looked closer at my picture and the retail price of this had be $2.72, so I saved 82% on each toothpaste...paid $0.50 each.  I have no idea how I came up with the number from before.

Also, Walmart currently has this deal for Shick as shown below.
You get the Shick Hydro5 razor, replacement blades, and shave gel for $9.97.  While I was in the store I looked to see what it would cost to buy them individually (the top of the box says $20 value) and it was around $21.50 based on their prices.  As you can see I have a coupon for each item which individually would have lowered the price to $14.75...which is still more than the "kit".  Well I figured I would ask the cashier if I could use the coupons with the kit...since all the items are in the kit that I have coupons for, which would make the "kit" $3.22!  That would be a HUGE savings.  Well unfortunately the computer wouldn't let us do it, but it was worth a try.  But I just thought I'd let you all know that this is still a great price and even if you were to buy them individually with these great coupons you'd be spending more than what this "kit" sells for.

Okay moving on, and this won't be quite as detailed...I promise:

Stop #2: Kroger ($44.28 --> 36% savings)

12 Gatorades + 3 Lipton Ice Teas = $10
*2 boxes of Special K $3.69 each = $7.38
   Used $1/2 Special K found here
*2 boxes of Fiber Plus = $5.98
*1 box of Special K bars = $2.99
    *buy 5 participating items and receive $5 off
    *had $3/3 boxes of Fiber Plus bars, Special K bars, or Nutrigrain bars on Kroger Plus Card
2 All detergents - $2.99 each (sale) = $5.98
   Used 2 - $1/1 coupons found here (no longer available) or here
2 loaves of bread - $0.88 each = $1.76
1 Chili powder = $1
1 Kroger lunchmeat = $2.99
   *none of coupons gave me a better deal
1 whole turkey - $0.99/lb = $5.14
2 Kroger cheeses - $1.69 = $3.38
2 Knorr Rice Mixes - $1 = $2
  Used $0.50/2 coupon (expired today) - coupon doubled
potatoes & zucchini

Also, I mentioned in my Kroger Deals post earlier this week about the Buy 5 participating items and get $5 off.  Well I bought the Special K cereal and the 3 cereal bars, but I could have gotten a better deal and used 2 - $1/1 Smart Start coupons (found here) and saved another $0.56, not much but thought I'd give you a heads up.  And actually there were some other Kellogg's cereal that were on sale for $2.99 + the additional $5 off so you could save more with one of those as well (and they do have coupons too!)

Just make sure to keep your eyes open for those clearance items and those extra deals that may not be posted in the sales ad (like the All detergent).  Also, always check the travel/trial section because you  may have a coupon that matches and can get you FREE items or even be a money maker!

No comments:

Post a Comment