Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Stockpiling

Okay, so I promised that we would talk about stockpiling and I'm just going to give you some of my tips.  Other people may have something different to say about the matter, or if you've seen TLC's Extreme Couponing you'll see something way "extreme", but this is my general rule of thumb.  Stock up on non-perishables, or things that you use on a normal/daily basis.  Stockpiling up on food can be good, if you have room in your kitchen/pantry, but don't stock up too far in advance because you don't want food spoiling or expiring, which then results in you not saving money.  So I have taken some photos of my small stockpiles.

1. Stock up on laundry detergent, dryer sheets,and garbage bags.  These are things that are used on a weekly and in some cases daily basis.  My rule of thumb is don't buy laundry detergent for more than $3.  So when there is a great sale on laundry detergent paired with a coupon that's less than $3 STOCK UP!  Now, I haven't been able to find the greatest deals on dryer sheets so I've been buying dryer sheets.  Also, try to pair coupons with sales for garbage bags.  Sometimes at Walgreens you'll be able to stack your manufacturer coupon with a WAGs IVC and/or in-ad coupon to score a great deal.  That's the time to stock up!

2. Stock up on body wash and soaps.  Now this is something that you use everyday and can be very expensive.  You can buy the cheap body wash at Walmart for around $1 and get 16 oz.  Well, what if you could get name brand body washes for $1 or less for 18oz?  Well that's what you do.  You can sometimes find BOGO FREE coupons for Gillette or Old Spice in the newspaper inserts and pair that with a BOGO FREE sale at like Walgreens you could score 2 FREE body washes!  Who doesn't love FREE.  So my qualifications for buying body wash is pay less than $1.50 for name brand 18oz bottles.

3. Stock up on deodorant.  Now this is something else that you would be using daily.  My general rule is to pay less than $1.50 per deodorant.  The small suave sizes you can get at Kroger for $1.06 and paired with a $0.50/1 coupon (which doubles) you can get them for $0.06!  So just keep a lookout for those great deals and know your stores' coupon policy.
Also, you'll see in the photo Tylenol Precise...look for great medicine deals too.  Like currently you can head over to Walmart and get a $5/1 Zyrtec 5ct and end up spending $0.27 OOP.  What a great deal.  So be on the lookout for those type deals.

4. Stock up on razors.  Everyone knows how expensive razors can be, but why not buy multiples if you can get them for $0.89?!  The "Cardinals" Gillette razor was actually found by my fiance in the clearance bin at a Walmart (not in my town) and got it less than $1, too bad he didn't have one of the $4/1 coupons and bought some food products with it.  But either way, there can be some great razor coupons, and when paired with a great sale or RR or ECBs you can get these brand name, top of the line disposable razors for CHEAP!  The women's razors were a great deal as well.  For each pack I bought I made $0.03.  Now that's not a lot, but I didn't have to pay for them.  They were great disposable razors to take on vacation and I even gave a pack to my mom for her to use as well!

5. Last but not least my favorite stockpile -- DENTAL products.  Yes, I have a lot of toothbrushes, toothpaste, floss, and mouthwash, BUT this is something you need to have good oral hygiene.  So like the dentist recommends, brush your teeth twice a day, floss at least once a day, and change out your toothbrush every 3 months!  So even though you usually get a toothbrush from the dentist (every 6 months) you still need 2 other new ones during that year as well.  So my general rule of thumb is to get FREE floss (yes FREE with coupons), toothpaste under $1.50, and toothbrushes under $1.50.  Now I'm talking name brand, dentist recommend items...not just the plainy ole toothbrush that hurts your gums.  I'm not very good at knowing what a real good price on mouthwash is, but I figure if I can get it less than the off-brand, then I think it's a pretty good deal.

Okay, so I hoped this helped some.  I didn't talk about food stockpiles too much, especially since if you don't have the room for it, then I think you don't need to "create" room for it, especially in places like your bedroom.  So I hope this helped some.  Please leave your comments and thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment