Thursday, December 1, 2011

Homemade Hot Cocoa Mix


So I thought I'd share my recipe for my homemade hot cocoa mix.  You can definitely change things up a bit, or you can even make it sugar free if you need be!  I'll also give you a break down of the cost (after any applicable coupons!). You can use any type of powdered creamer, whether it be regular or vanilla to give your hot cocoa a little extra "umph!"


2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (~$1.99 -- $0.99)
1 cup sugar (or Splenda if you're looking for a sugar free version) ($2.49 -- $0.22)
1/2 cup powdered creamer ($2.12 -- $0.35)  $0.75/1 found here for Coffeemate
2 1/2 cups nonfat dry milk ($7.78 -- $3.89)
~1/3 cup Chocolate Chips (~$1.99 -- $0.50)
Fabric to spruce it up ($0.97 -- $0.50 only used half)
Ribbon to spruce it up (had on hand)
Containers to put it in (FREE!  Reuse old peanut butter, salsa, or other types of jars)
Total Cost = $6.45

This will make ~18 servings if you use 4 tablespoons per cup of hot cocoa (I like mine real chocolatey!).  This makes a great gift to give during the holidays and not too expensive!  Make sure you buy when you have coupons or there is a sale, therefore your cost will be even lower!  Also, I say that it makes ~18 servings, my mix made a little more than 2 peanut butter containers worth.

**My cost was slightly high, due to the fact that I didn't have any coupons/deals to use.  I should have bought these items on sale instead of at the last minute.  Plus the cost of the dry milk is HIGH!  But this will be added to 2 gifts making each container only $3.23 each.


No comments:

Post a Comment