It's been almost 3 years since the price of stamps last increased. Well, starting January 22 that is all about to change. The cost of a stamp will raise from $0.44 to $0.45. I know that doesn't seem like a lot, but if you send a lot of mail, or pay a lot of bills through the mail then that extra penny adds up. If you're running low on stamps I suggest you head on over to your post office tomorrow to stock up, or you can always order online (will cost you an extra $1 for shipping and handling) and your mail carrier will bring them in a few days. Head on over to the USPS website to read their news release from October about the price increase.
"Highlights of the new single-piece First-Class Mail pricing, effective Jan. 22, 2012, include:
- Letters (1 oz.) – 1-cent increase to 45 cents
- Letters additional ounces – unchanged at 20 cents
- Postcards – 3-cent increase to 32 cents
- Letters to Canada or Mexico (1 oz.) – 5-cent increase to 85 cents.
- Letters to other international destinations – 7-cent increase to $1.05"