Sunday, March 18, 2012

Making the Most with Coupons

So this is going to be a quick post about using coupons and some tips for those newbies out there.

One of the main ways to save money with coupons is knowing when to use them.  Just because I print off coupons today or get coupons out of my newspaper today, does NOT mean that I should use them today.  The best way to use coupons is to wait until there is a sale at your local grocery store.  Today I used a $1/1 Kraft Fresh Take coupon that I printed a week or so ago.  At Kroger the price is normally $2.99, so if I were to use it any ole day then I would be paying $1.99 for the item (33% savings).  BUT I waited, and today the same item was on sale for $1.79 (if I bought 10 participating items) and I used my $1/1 coupon which made it only $0.79 (74% savings).  So instead of paying $1.99 just to use the coupon I only ended up paying $0.79, a difference of $1.20.  Now, if you do that with the majority of your coupons your savings will be even greater!  Now, I know that sometimes you need an item and your coupon is about to expire so you use it when the item is not on sale...that's OK too, you just won't have as great of savings.

So the purpose of all of this chit chat is to get you to think before using your coupons.  If you can hold off on buying an item for another grocery week then do and your savings may be even greater!

Many people don't believe me when I say that I spend less than $60/week on groceries...and yes I do not have any children and am only feeding 2 people...BUT that's a very small amount to spend on groceries.  Like today, I was able to spend under $40 based on sales and coupons, and was able to get fresh meat, eggs, and milk (which don't generally have coupons).  So if you don't think it's possible, well it is!  It just takes some practice, patience, and time.

If you have any questions on how to do this or would like to know more of my strategy for couponing then please visit these posts (here or here or here or here or here) or send me an email and I will be glad to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment